photo Header_zps11b14c46.png

April 18, 2013

Boston Strong

It's been days and I still can not wrap my head around what has happened. Our historical, magical city is forever changed.  Marathon Monday and Patriots Day are celebrated like most major holiday's in our lovely state and someone ripped that away from us..... temporarily.

Hearing about the awful events on Monday afternoon was shocking. As I worked, I was frozen. I didn't know what to do with myself.  It brought me back to that awful day of 9/11/01 and I was just overcome with fear. This was happening in MY city.

Shaking, I picked up my phone & one by one called and texted everyone I knew that was in the city. I had accounted for all my friends that were celebrating Marathon Monday like they do every year,  luckily they were not hurt or near the bombing.
Unfortunately, too many people were not so lucky. Grief stricken families are coping with the loss of loved ones and the recovery of those that were critically injured, both of whom will never be the same. Their lives changed forever.




My husband Derek works in Boston, he is a State Tropper ( aka police officer), for those not from Beantown, he was the one that told me that a bomb went off at the finish line. He was in the city working and immediately went to the scene. He was off the grid and hours went by with no returned texts or calls from him.  I thought to myself "what if another bomb goes off!"   Finally he called, he was ok. Those hours were some of the longest of my life. I can only imagine the pain of those families that never got the return call or text because their loved one was not coming home.


Although we grieve for what happened to our city we must also be aware of the heroism of the first responders. The State Police, Boston Police, Boston Fire Dept, EMT's, Military and those everyday people running towards the bomb site, THEY are why there are more lives that were saved that day. Those men & women are true heroes.

My husband Derek wears many uniforms.  He wears the blues when he serves our state of Massachusetts as a police officer, Camouflage when he serves our country and Black when he is on search & rescue.  He is an Iraqi War Vetran & he is my hero. He has been in the city since Monday, only coming home to sleep for a few hours. He wouldn't have it any other way. I am so grateful to call him my husband. Everyday he makes me proud.





Boston is resilient, Boston is strong, Boston is our city and NO ONE messes with us. 

The people of Boston have come together and been an amazing example of a strong support system within state and community. I am PROUD to call Boston home.


 BOSTON STRONG!

G


No comments:

Post a Comment